Opened by Pacific Theatre on June 3, 1955. The Los Altos Drive-In was originally a single screen theatre with a capacity for 2,100 cars.
It was built, as so many of us were, in 1955 as part of Los Altos developer Lloyd Whaley’s grand plan for the new and freshly annexed eastern part of town.
...Like other drive-in theaters around the country and locally, including the Lakewood (1948-1989), the Circle (1951-1985), and the Long Beach (1955-1979), the Los Altos was a fairly profitable way to hold onto land (more than 25 acres in the Los Altos instance) until demand warranted its sale. Today, there’s a car dealership there, along with a K-mart, a Lowe’s hardware and a smattering of other shops...
Tim Grobarty; Press-Telegram
image - Kathy Beyers, 2003